Saturday, July 5, 2008

And it goes on and on and on and on..

For most of the past seven months, I've had less than one hour of knitting time per week. ISN'T THAT INSANE?? Any and every knitting project seems to take ages to complete.

Two weeks ago, my schedule opened up quite a bit so I am trying to buckle down on one particular project.. currently known as Hush-Hush. I'm working on it for my mother's 50th birthday; it is in her colours and an absolutely gorgeous stitch pattern.

Yarn from Tanis Fiber Arts; colourway "Royal Flush" (middle skein). On the left is Tanis's "Lilac" and on the right is Malabrigo "Snow Bird."

(I don't think she knows I have a blog but don't want to give out too many details -- just in case!)

However, I (somewhat foolishly) decided to use a sock yarn for this project.. I LOVE the yarn and LOVE the colours, but my goodness, it is taking ages. I worked really hard on Hush-Hush for the past two days, and went from being 20% done the project to 75% done. YAY ME. Current length is 50", and I am aiming for 66" before blocking..

THEN I still have to block. Which isn't a problem; I rather like blocking. It is a productive, almost relaxing process and I love to see the piece take its proper shape before my eyes. I was intimidated the first time that I had to do it, but holy moly it is so easy and so worthwhile. I won't do it here, but at my sister's the next time I head to Ottawa. The yarn can be machine washed, then I'll set it out to block. However, this means that I'll have Hush-Hush laying around chez moi for about a month before it is blocked and gifted! It's so soft and lovely that I'll have to hide it from myself..!

I can't wait to post the awesome pattern that I am using! And to show pictures! If you're on Ravelry you can get a sneak preview -- in the left-hand column of this blog, click on the "where my stitches at?" button to find my profile and browse my projects.

No comments: